Light & Dark
This has been a dark year, with fools and fascists creeping into the light with ever greater confidence.
my syllables cut
by executive order
and kept in cages
is measured in dollar bills
we’re easily mugged
the fascists return
bleeding through our broken world
always with balance
in cabinet and in news
we’re led to chaos
viva la brexit!
we carve ourselves to the bones
to feed the vultures
- Trump has voiced his admiration for dictators, and seems quite determined to turn the land of the free into a Nazi superstate.
- May and the Brexiters seem determined to fulfil Putin’s dream of a divided Europe, and the rich and superrich are circling like vultures in anticipation of the resulting fire sale.
- England is home to a particularly foul breed of transphobes who imagine themselves righteous warriors and silenced victims of a grand, patriarchal conspiracy – but they are far from silenced and the British press gives them a powerful platform for their hate and misinformation.
- Europe, poor Europe! Don’t let the fascists win!
Not hard to see, the dark side is. Anger, fear, aggression,…
- when all lies burning, Brexit haiku
- Genderquake and Transphobia, the truth about gender
- The Trans Debate, the intransigence of the ‘debate’
- The TERF’s Refrain, fanaticism!
- Atomic Gender, haiku inspired by Twitter transphobes
But let’s have some light to begin with.
I’m delighted that Freya selected three of my haiku for her blog this year. The themes were celestial bodies and oceans.
- Venus, twilight enchantment
- Pluto, caution before gods!
- Celestia, (more celestial bodies)
- Sharks, for the Ocean series
National Poetry Writing Month (NaPoWriMo)
For this year’s NaPoWriMo I ranted about transmisogyny and press bias, for the most part, writing daily quintets of haiku – until I was just too depressed to continue.
a binary ex
too consumed with asking why
I saw shades of grey
sex is binary
attraction is after all
- Lambs to the Slaughter, the superrich and their biased press
- Ignorants, the illogic of TERFs
- Unacceptable Thoughts, gender assumptions
- Cats and Dogs, a bit o’ fun
- Glorious Pink, gender norms
- Evil, Rage & Terfery
- Denying Herself, Fairytales
- With Mockery, Vultures & Hyenas
- Their Loss, Press Bias & More Terfery
- As easy as that, Transgender Politics
- Know them Not, Gender Definitions
- Unreasoning, Hunting Witches
- Stopped by a Wall, a trio of water tanka
- The Wilful Blindness of Transmisogyny, penis obsession
- Calculus, an erotic haibun
- The Coldest Girl in Coldtown, a five-star read!
- This is Devin Jones, Lesbian Die Hard!
- Apostrophe!, fun with words
- In (binary) days of old, an extended haibun about gender